Friday, November 7, 2008

another short update...

(written last night on the train with only spotty internet connection)

I’m sorry (Mom!) that I haven’t been able to update more often on this trip…though I have been able to get internet in most places, there were others where we didn’t have a connection (or running water, or electricity!). On the days when we HAVE had a connection, I have been so tired at the end of the day (or have been still working on my laptop, in bed) that I couldn’t muster the energy to blog. (I like that “blog” is a verb.)

So, we are currently on the train…just leaving Bhagalpur and headed to Calcutta. We had a lovely few days in the villages of Bihar and Jarkhand…really, really lovely. I very distinctly felt my soul align one day as we were driving along the paddy fields…on terrible roads…with most of my traveling companions singing songs in Hindi. It was truly a beautiful area and I met many beautiful people…lots of things to ponder (like my future vocation as a farmer in India…just kidding). Perhaps whenever I have an opportunity to gather and write my thoughts, I will.

Overall, we have had a very productive visit so far. I can’t believe that we are almost headed home…just a few more days! In the beginning I was VERY homesick, and, of course, now that we are nearing the end of our journey I am just hitting my stride. Oh well. I AM looking forward to getting home...though I think I have sufficiently mastered the bucket-bath on this trip, I am indeed looking forward to a nice hot shower in my home.


I've been reading some Wendell Berry agricultural essays while I'm here (though "reading" might be an overstatement, as I've probably only read about 15 pages over 2 weeks), and what with that and all of my time in the rural villages, I've been thinking a lot about...well, agriculture, and development, and a lot of things. Lots of good things to chew on.

miss you all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara...so glad to hear from you and know you are safe. Looking forward to talking with you once you get home. Keep safe, but have a nice last few days and trip home.

Love, Mom

Andrew said...

Huzzah for Mr. Berry!

Looking forward to your return to the States. We elected a new president, in case you hadn't heard...