Friday, June 10, 2011

warm greetings from brussels!

Look, I'm still blogging! This is progress. Don't know how many of you are actually interested in hearing from me so frequently, but I know my mother is, so I will update.

Currently in Brussels, where it is about 8:30am. (2:30am in KC.) The weather is very cool. I hope that I packed warmly enough for Kenya...it is supposed to be in the 60s and 70s (winter!). I just ran into a girl with a KU hat in the bathroom...she got a little freaked out when I asked her if she is from Kansas (forgetting that she was wearing it on her forehead). Small world.

The flight was fine, except for the fact that it was absolutely FREEZING. Even with my (special fuzzy) airplane socks and cardigan and blanket and scarf (which I even wrapped around my head at a point). Despite all of my attempts to get an aisle seat (which weren't that extensive, except for the fact that it is listed on my 'preferences' on our work flight-booking site and it's always yielded aisle seats in the past), I was smack in the middle of a 5-seat row. I guess it could have been worse. I didn't feel too claustrophobic. Watched Hall Pass (not terrible). Read some. Ate some (not terrible) food. Napped. Felt the need to stretch my legs but didn't really have the opportunity.

So now I have a bit of time in the Brussels airport before I head out to Nairobi, which will be...just checked...EVEN LONGER than the last flight...9 hrs 35 min vs. 7 hrs 28 min for the last one. NAIROBI IS REALLY FAR AWAY. Why do *I* work with all the really far away places?? So many of my coworkers have these lovely 4 hour flights that don't even take them out of the TIME ZONE. Luckeeee. (At least I don't have to get up at 4am to catch those flights.)

Okay. Think I'm going to sign off for now and do some actual work before I have to get on the plane again. (I will really try to do that instead of watching the Grey's Anatomy dvd that is calling my name right now.)

See you in Nairobi!

5 comments:

quart said...

I love Brussels! Too bad you have to stay in the airport. Keep blogging!

Some Day Sarah... said...

you're in my reader...i read. fun to hear your adventure, must be followed by coffee or cocktails upon your return!

Mom said...

Sara...Thanks so much for blogging in Brussels! I love updates from you...and I love reading what you write. Hope your next flight was "warmer". Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Aaahhh! I just saw your posts in my google reader. Keep it up! I will read. I want to hear your thoughts about Kenya.

Unknown said...

I love reading what you write Sarah, Sorry my english is bad